Saturday, December 8, 2012

Michigan

So, we now live in Michigan!

We came here for 2 reasons: family and much lower cost of living. We will be able to buy a house here. But I digress, I have been doing a lot of thinking about Michigan and Detroit. 

It started when Donna wanted to see the house she grow up in and visit her old neighborhood. I was shocked, I thought I was visiting a war torn 3rd world county. Most of the street was reclaimed by nature, what wasn't, was burned. But what disturbed me the most, I think, was the lifeless, listless eyes of the kids playing in the street. That night I had nightmares about those eyes.

I started thinking ( and as any of my friends can tell you, once I start thinking anything can happen) about why. How did this come to be? Why  was Detroit abandoned? Those questions and more started me on a mind Odyssey that I will document in this blog.

I think the simple answer to the above is FEAR. But as with any simplistic answer, it is far from the whole truth (and nothing but the truth). So here's some more answers; poor southern folk, the car industry, racism, and the real estate market. 

Thesis statement:
 
The above is what I think caused the fall of Detroit and in turn, the blubbing, churning  nearly below the surface racism that exists today in Detroit and many surrounding areas.

Next time, I will start to present supporting documentation.
 

No comments: